Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Can Tenet Save The Film Industry?

 

I know I'm not going out on a limb when I say that 2020 has been unlike anything the world has ever seen.  The pandemic has wreaked havoc on every fabric of our daily lives.  The film industry is no different.  Theaters across the nation have been shuttered since March, and almost every major release has been rescheduled to 2021... with one exception.  Christopher Nolan's Tenet has been the lone holdout.  Yes, it has been pushed back a few times, but it was hellbent on being released in 2020.  Major (and minor) movie chains across the country have had Tenet as the one glimmer of hope to hold on to in a year that will forever change how we view movies.  From Onward and Hamilton to last week's release of Bill & Ted Face The Music, movies have chosen to go direct to streaming and Video-On-Demand instead of delaying their releases for a year or more.  Netflix has continued to gobble up would-be theatrical films (like Spike Lee's masterpiece Da 5 Bloods).  So will we ever have a traditional film industry again?  Christopher Nolan seems to think so.  It is doing really well in foreign markets where they are lucky enough to have leadership that has been able to handle the pandemic, unlike the United States.  It's only open in about 65% of the movie markets in this country.  Luckily, I had the unbelievable fortune of going to a movie theater again for the first time since January to see his latest event film.  Tenet, while not quite up to the high watermark of his career (Dunkirk), is a mind-melding treat, and a must-see theatrical experience.

I have been very fortunate during the pandemic and I am fully aware of my privilege when I say that losing the theatrical movie experience was one of the hardest aspects of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic for me.  It's the one thing (outside of my family) that I truly love in life, and it's been hard losing that experience.  I am very privileged to work for a great company and to be able to work through this horrible event.  Needless to say I was downright giddy walking into the theater to watch this film.  It was like reacquainting myself with a long lost friend.  

As far as the film goes, I don't want to spoil much in this review as much of the plot is shrouded in mystery.  I will say this, Tenet starts at a fever pace and doesn't really let up for two and a half hours.  It's like a James Bond film with time travel.  All the calling cards of a Christopher Nolan film are here.  Gorgeous imagery, a pulse-pounding Hans Zimmer score, and spectacular practical effects.  John David Washington continues his ascendancy to the top of the Hollywood A-List as a secret agent who is drawn into a world of mystery and intrigue.  Without spoiling anything, he's tasked with preventing villains from the future hellbent on destroying the past.  If that sounds confusing, I have to say that it's not as hard to follow as some reviews have said.  Sure, a lot of the dialogue is needlessly stuffy, but on the surface, it's really no different than an international espionage thriller.  I think that if you try to think about it as you're watching it, you'll get more lost than if you just sit back and enjoy it.  Like Inception, it's not as confusing as you think it is.  Washington isn't the only star in this one.  Robert Pattinson continues his recent hot streak in a supporting role and Kenneth Branagh chews up scenery left and right as a Russian arms dealer.  They are all pieces that add up to a genuine thrill ride of a film.

Back to the special effects for a minute.  Christopher Nolan has outdone himself once again.  There are scenes that happen in real-time and reverse simultaneously.  The action in this film is eye-opening, and hard to explain.  I'll just say that it's some of the best effect work that I've seen in a film.  I can't wait to watch the making of this movie to find out how Nolan did it.

If you're lucky enough to get to a theater, you must-see Tenet.  It's well-worth the wait, and a bright spot in the dark cloud that is 2020.  Hopefully it's the film that reboots the film industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment