Sunday, April 22, 2018

Super Troopers 2 is a worthy successor to its cult comedy brother

I'm fully on record as hating most comedy sequels.  In fact, there's only a handful of them that I'd qualify as decent.  Most, like Anchorman 2 or Zoolander 2, are made about a couple years too late, and just re-hash the original to diminishing returns.  I think I went in to Super Troopers 2 with pretty low expectations.  I'm happy to report that I laughed way more than I thought I would, and Super Trooper 2 was a decent follow-up to the original film.

Like most people, I missed the original Super Troopers' theatrical run.  It came and went with little to no fanfare during its brief, forgettable run.  I caught it on home video when I rented it randomly at my local Blockbuster Video (remember those?).  I laughed my ass off that night, and it's been in regular rotation ever since.  It was infinitely quotable (littering and..., meow, liter of cola, etc.) , and its stature only grew over the years.  However, for some reason, it never spawned a sequel... until now.  After one of the more memorable crowd funding campaigns, we're here.

I'll skip the plot of Super Troopers 2 (essentially the same as the first, only set in Canada), and get right to what I liked about it... namely the cast.  Broken Lizard hasn't changed their style of humor much in the past 16 years, but they have a chemistry with one another that makes me laugh again and again.  I guess my comedy tastes haven't changed much either since I graduated college.  I found myself laughing out loud more than I care to admit.  The guys are still goofing on each other throughout this film, and it was just what I needed.  Kevin Heffernan's Farva is still the butt of the joke, but he plays a douchebag better than most comedians.  All the gags you enjoyed in the first one are all present here, but they don't feel like cheap knockoffs.  They appear, but are never distracting.  The Broken Lizard gang genuinely feel like cherish these characters and it shows in this film.  They had to beg and borrow to get this one made, and they made sure to do it right.

I'm giving this one 2.5 stars out of 4.  There's not much in the way of plot, and this film basically boils down to a series of skits strung together.  However, it's a joy to be back in their world.  If you're a fan of the first one, definitely see it right meow!  If not, I'd probably skip it.

No comments:

Post a Comment