Wednesday, February 28, 2018

I'm fairly certain Annihilation is a modern sci-fi classic - that deserves multiple views


I just got out of Annihilation, though I still feel like I'm in it, and my initial thoughts were "welp, that's one of the best sci-fi movies I've seen in a long time."  It's trippy, heady and gorgeous.  It definitely makes you think, and warrants repeated viewings.  Though it is definitely not for general audiences.  In fact, a woman seated near me let out a big "huh?" as the credits started to roll.

I, however, can't get enough of this film.  It sweeps you up into its trance-like state and keeps you there long after you leave the theater.  I can't remember the last movie I saw that is staying with me quite like Annihilation.  Director Alex Garland (of Ex Machina fame) has created something that I hope will stand the test of time.

The details of this film are better seen than read.  Basically, a meteor-like object has crashed to earth.  This object has created The Shimmer, a terra-formed world that mutates and grows with equal parts beauty and horror.  Many have entered, but none have escaped.  There is a theme of the destructive nature of life and death prevalent throughout it, though I think this story also works on the surface level. 

There are some genuinely thrilling sequences within this film, but there are large stretches of the film that appear as if in slow-motion.  I guess it's why audiences aren't really racing in droves to the theater to see it.  Opening a week after the juggernaut that is Black Panther doesn't help its chances either.  The final third of this film hearkens back to great trippy sci-fi films like 2001: A Space Odyssey and Moon.  It's definitely NOT a typical blockbuster style action thriller, and that's why I like it so much.

Natalie Portman's character is the glue that bonds this film together.  She's equal parts tough and vulnerable.  Along with a band of strong, but flawed women, she leads them through The Shimmer to find the source of all this mystery.  The Shimmer is gradually expanding and threatens to destroy the entire world.  Though this film features mostly women, Oscar Isaac provides a pivotal supporting role to this story as Portman's character's husband.  I think what I liked most about these characters is that they were all strong people who just so happened to be women.  It's great to see a mainstream movie fronted by a strong group of women, where gender isn't what defines them.

I can't stress how much I enjoyed this film, and how disappointed I am that it's probably going to be remembered as a flop.  It was given a release date death slot and I can only hope that it gains traction once it's released on home video (Or is it home streaming?  Do they still call it home video?  I digress.).  I'm just glad that a studio took a chance on this film.  This movie is going to stick with me for a long, long time... and that's a good thing.  There's too many disposable stories being made, and Annihilation will hopefully go down as what it is, a classic.  4 out of 4 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment