Friday, March 17, 2017

Get Out is a nearly perfect film

I finally had the opportunity to see the breakout hit of 2017, Jordan Peele's horror comedy smash, Get Out.  I didn't really know what to expect going into this film, given it's nearly unanimous support, but I'm happy to report back that it's as good as the reviews say it is... and maybe better.

Get Out works on almost every level.  It's a horror film that has equal parts social satire and traditional thriller.  The comedic elements in it do not feel forced and the ending had me guessing almost up to the point of the big reveal.  It works as a social commentary in ways that haven't been explored before.  Essentially, it's meant to satire "well-intentioned" liberal white people, while bringing attention the sense of paranoia that most black people feel when being thrust into an all-white situation.  Peele expertly crafts this film together without it ever feeling preachy, or hitting the audience too hard on the head.  If I had to boil it down to a label, it's essentially The Stepford Wives meets Guess Who's Coming To Dinner for the modern era.  What I found most refreshing about this film was that, in an era of never ending blockbusters and sequels, Get Out is a fresh, original film that is both acted and directed superbly.  It tackles racism in a way that hasn't really been presented on film before, and a film that is both timely and relevant in this post 45 world we live in..  It definitely deserves all the accolades (bot critically and commercially) that is being heaped upon it.

For those of you who are not "Horror" people, I still think you can get immense enjoyment out of it.  To me, it reminded me of early seasons of Lost, where each episode would get you wanting to learn more.  This is how this movie played out to me.  Each scene built a sense of foreboding, leading to a climax that was both shocking and rewarding.  When the credits rolled on Get Out, I felt satisfied that the movie was over and wanted more a the same time.

The final thing to look out for on this film, is whether or not it will have the legs to last until awards season.  As my friend Adam pointed out, a February movie hasn't made the best picture list since Silence Of The Lambs.  History is not on Get Out's side, but I think it'll be an awards player.

I'm giving Get Out 3.75 stars out of 4.  I had a few bones to pick with it, but they were minor and discussing them would give away the ending.  If you haven't seen it yet, get out (see what I did there???) and see it!


No comments:

Post a Comment