Sunday, February 26, 2017

My final (Pre-Oscars) Top 10 movies of 2016



With tonight's big show just hours away, I finally have time to revisit my top 10 movies of 2016.  since my last post, I've had some time to see a few more movies I feel deserve a spot in my top 10.  Sadly, I have not seen the prohibitive front runners for best picture, La La Land and Moonlight, yet.  Moonlight comes out on DVD this Tuesday, so I may just have to revisit this list once more.

Here's my updated top 10 for 2016.

Getting knocked out of my top 10 for no other reason than they were at the end of my previous list.

Captain America: Civil War, The Witch, & OJ:  Made In America.  These were all fantastic movies and I wish I had room for more.

10) Everybody Wants Some!! - Director Richard Linklater returns to his stoner comedy roots in this fantastic (and underrated) "spiritual sequel" to Dazed And Confused.  In a year needing of a good laugh, this film delivers on all cylinders.

9) Green Room - I loved this highly underrated thriller about a punk band being trapped inside a white supremacist compound.  Props to the phenomenal Patrick Stewart in an against-type performance for the ages.

8) The Birth Of A Nation - Another criminally underrated (and underseen) movie.  Director Nate Parker presents the story of the largest slave rebellion in US History in a deeply moving way.  Once thought to be an Oscar front-runner has sadly fallen by the wayside.

7) Hell Or High Water - A good old fashioned cops and robbers film that doesn't break any new ground, but feels fresh and invigorating at the same time.

6) 13th - A total gut punch documentary that presents how African-Americans have been treated and incarcerated (particularly males) since the passing of the 13th Amendment to the Constitution.  A must see!

5)  The Founder - Michael Keaton knocks it out of the park in this retelling of how Ray Croc "founded" the McDonalds empire.

4) Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - The Force is in good hands with the house of mouse.  This exhilarating standalone story perfectly sets up A New Hope.  I'm glad the rumors over its troubled production were just that.

3) Fences - The best acted movie of the year should be a major player this awards season.

2)  Manchester By The Sea - I was blown away by how much I loved this truly somber tale of coming to terms with one's grief.  This film was beautifully directed and the haunting performance of Casey Affleck warrants all the praise it has been given.

1) Arrival - An alien invasion movie where the aliens are almost secondary.  It's my favorite movie of the year by my favorite new director (Denis Villenueve).  I look forward to seeing what he can do with the Blade Runner sequel in 2017.

If you need a fun read before tonight's show, check out my preview article with Adam Howard.

No comments:

Post a Comment