Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Beast Of No Nation And My Preliminary Top 10 of 2015


Do you know that feeling when you first wake up and you're half asleep and half awake?  The feeling where everything works a half step too slow.  That's the exact feeling I had while watching the remarkable Netflix original film, Beasts Of No Nation.  This film seems to exist in a state of euphoric delusion.  Perhaps this is because we see the brutality of war through the eyes of a child and his slow descent from child to killer.  It's something that I can't even begin to imagine happening to me or my family.  This haziness, combined with the immaculate cinematography makes this film feel like a moving, talking piece of art.  It took me a long time to get around to viewing this film, but it was definitely worth the wait.

Set in a civil war torn African nation, this film is perhaps the best looking film about war and death that I have ever seen.  It reminds a lot of Apocalypse Now with the combination of stark brutality and gorgeous scenery.   Like Coppola's masterpiece, as the violence becomes more graphic, the set pieces become immaculate.  The cinematography should definitely be up for an Academy Award.

The star of this film is really Idris Elba, and he's rightly getting the attention he deserves.  As the brutal Colonel of the rebel army, he methodically indoctrinates boys into killers by being equal parts mad man and father figure.  There's an allegory to be made with the rise of modern terrorist groups and how they get their next soldiers at such a young age.  It is through his character that the film's overall message is addressed.  Do we gain anything through victory?  And if so, are any of the victories worth it if you lose your humanity in the process?  There's a remarkable scene towards the end of the film where Elba's soldiers ask these exact questions.  At what point is any of it worth it.

This film was the first Netflix exclusive.  It was released in a small number of theaters to qualify for awards, but most people have experienced this film at home.  This leads to the obvious question of whether or not Netflix is the future for independent filmmakers.  On one hand, as a father of two young children, my theater days are dwindling.  On the other hand, I will always be a believer that the best way to experience a film is on the big screen.  Only time will tell, but we will probably look back to Beasts Of No Nation as the potential tipping point for home vs. theater viewing.

Definitely check it out.  It's a brutal beautiful film that any film buff will enjoy.

And now my (preliminary) top 10 of 2015.  I should note that I still haven't seen a lot of the so-called awards season movies, so take this list with a grain of salt.  I hope to see a few more after they come out on home video.

10)  Spy

Melissa McCarthy and director Paul Feig hilariously spoof the spy genre.  It was a welcome return to form for McCarthy after a series of hit or miss typecast movies. As funny as it was, it still won't get me to watch the Ghostbusters reboot.

9)  Dope

This hilarious tale of a group of South Central LA hipsters who get caught up in a drug ring reminds me a lot of some of my favorite 90's comedies.  It's also a very timely movie with an important message to say about today's racial climate in America.  I hope this film will find a bigger audience on home video.

8)  Beasts Of No Nation

As I said above, this one is equal parts beauty and brutality.  Check it out on Netflix today.

7)  Mission Impossible:  Rogue Nation

The wildly entertainin 5th movie in this 20 year old franchise shows that Ethan Hunt still has a lot of gas left in his tank.

6)  Ex Machina

This underrated sci-fi gem proves that you can have big budget suspense on a indy film budget.  I hope more people come to appreciate this film.

5)  Sicario

A haunting portrayal of the moral questions facing America's longest war (The War On Drugs).  Benicio Del Toro is dynamite as a father and husband who will stop at nothing to avenge his family's death.  The opening sequence is brutally stunning.

4)  The Martian

Matt Damon shines in this fantastic return to form for director Ridley Scott.

3)  Mad Max:  Fury Road

Director George Miller returns to the franchise that made him famous.  Non-stop thrills from start to finish.  It may be the most feminist movie of 2015, too.  With rumors of him not returning as director of the sequels disappointing me, we may have to view this as Miller's swan song.

2)  Inside Out

The most human movie of the year and Pixar's best movie in years.  I dare you to not tear up during the Bing Bong scene.

1) Star Wars:  The Force Awakens

Was there any doubt?  The best Star Wars film in 30 years is an epic masterpiece.  I can't wait to see where the saga goes next.

Here's a couple bonus categories for me.

Most disappointing movie:  Jurassic World

I still don't see what drove people to the theaters in (pre-Star Wars) record numbers this summer.  Nostalgia only goes a short distance.  The rest of this film was OK at best.

Movie that I thought I would hate, but thought was OK:  Terminator Genisys

Don't get me wrong.  This pointless reboot of (perhaps) the best sci-fi movie ever was total crap.  I just didn't hate it as much as I thought I would.  Arnold still has something left to offer.

Movie that I thought I would love, but actually hated:  The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

On paper, this movie should have worked.  Guy Ritchie doing a spy movie should be easy money.  However, Guy Ritchie's style only goes so far to mask the turd of a script and even worse acting.  I shut it off halfway through.  When are we going to stop trying to make Armie Hammer happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment